Dear Ethan,
Holy smokes kiddo! When did you decide to go from 1 ½ years
old to 16 years old?
What happen to my good listener? My cuddly little boy? Did I mistakenly pick up the wrong kid from daycare?
I mean you look like
my son, but there are times I have no idea who you are. You’re loud. You’re
ornery. You’re daring. You’re independent.
I understand you’re exploring the world and boundaries.
However, when you see your mama grab her heart as she repeatedly tells you get
down from the arm rest on the couch it’s because of the following: (a) she’s
about to have a heart attack, (b) she doesn't want to spend all day at the
emergency room, and (c) because I can foresee how this is going to go down-
Literally.
While I applaud you for being independent I want to remind
you that there are still rules that you must abide by.
...Jeez, I’m starting to sound like my father. Good grief!
I don’t do it to be
mean. I do it to stabilize boundaries for you. As your mother, I must show
you how to respect others. And yes, this includes the sippy cups you repeatedly
chuck across the room. If I don’t do my part, son, then you’ll struggle when
you go to school. Now, I know you may get frustrated with me since I don’t
allow you to be a rebel so I have a great idea! Any time you are
frustrated just calmly come to me and state your grievances. Not too hard,
right?
Oh, who am I kidding? You’ll never calmly tell me what’s upsetting you.
You’ll always test your boundaries from this day forward. You’re coming to your
own. I can’t say I dislike it; it’s just that I wanted to keep you as my little
son for as long as I can. There is so much I need to teach you before you can
make decisions on your own. There are so many things that could harm you that I
need to protect you from. So just please be patient with me and I will do the
same with you.
With all this said, take a good look at your mama. I’m sure
in the next few years this mama of yours will age quite rapidly. Worrying,
stressing, and caring over your well being So, I’ll brace myself for the laugh
wrinkles, forehead stress lines, and crow’s feet wrinkles surrounding my eyes
that I’m sure are soon to come. Just know at one point I did look youthful J
Love you lots, Pumpkin!
Your mama

No comments :
Post a Comment