Lately you've been affirming how much you don't need me. You love to remind me how tall you're getting, how you are responsible, and how you are no longer a baby. Whenever you learn something new you are excited tell me how you no longer need me (to do that particular thing). Your recent achievement was holding scissors correctly and not having me remind you how to. You also get excited anytime you gain a yogurt mustache after eating yogurt. You literally sport this yogurt mustache as if it was an actually mustache. While I know you are biting at the bit to grow up, to be just as tall as daddy, I beg you to just slow it down. You may not need me as much, but I sure need you.
I need you to remind me how to play cars, planes, ninja turtles, puppy dogs, monsters, and whatever else you come up with. I need you to cuddle in my arms because you're still little enough for me to hold. I need you to ask for my help from time to time just so I know you still need me. I need your small kisses to plant my cheeks and have you wrap your arms around my neck. I need to hear you spontaneously say, "I love you mama 'cause you're awesome" whenever your heart desired to do so. I don't ever want the day to come when you no longer request story time or for me to sing to you right before I tuck you in at night, but sadly I know one day it will come. I'm just hoping it's not until you're 20. Until then, as much as it breaks my heart to see you grow up incredibly fast before my eyes, I know it's a BIG deal for you. So, I will encourage you to learn and explore. Provide you with the confidence that you're still building. Just don't grow up too fast. Give me time to memorize your cute little laugh so I can etch it in my heart forever.
I love you very much Ethan. Love how you're coming to your own. Enjoying the childhood you're creating and I get to be part of the fun. Be a kid again myself. I enjoy every moment we share together. And, before I forget, thank you for inviting me to play with you cars and planes. I would rather play with you and your sissy than do the moping I know the kitchen needs.
XOXO,
Mom


